Wednesday, September 23, 2009

SUMMARY OF CALIFORNIA TRIP

I wanted to tell a little about our trip from I-5 to Death Valley. We turned off on Hwy 89 from I-5 and traveled to where 44 turns toward Susanville. There at that intersection, I mentioned we might as well spend the night, as I was tired and it was late and I knew John was tired. He didn't really want to, has never wanted to boondock out in the middle of nowhere, thinks it isn't safe. (Come to find out, good thought)
We settled down and then a semi drove up beside us, I thought 2 is better than one. Well about midnight I woke up to what I thought was the air bags losing all their air at the same time, but then someone beat on the side of the coach saying WAKE UP. The about 5 seconds later a pick-up went roaring up the highway. By this time we had our wits about us and knew what was going on, when the pick-up came back and the guy yelled to Wake the #$*& up. Took off again. John said I don't know why I let you talk me into doing this. But I mentioned how beautiful the sky was and really I haven't seen that many stars in so long .... to much light. So we settle down again and I was thinking about what I would like to do to those boys. What I came up with was taking some black tank fluid and throwing it on them. WOW would I like to see those expressions.
When we got to Susanville picked up 395, traveled thru Reno and Carson City, then back into CA. We spent the night in Bishop at an Indian Casino rv lot. No hookups, but secure. Went over, got a card that had 5 dollars on it and was good for 2 off the prime rib. Was very good. Bishop is a very nice town and leaving saw some Wildlife Viewing signs, so slowed down and sure enough there was a herd of elk. It is rutting season the 3 big stags were trying to keep their little herds to themselves.
I forgot to mention that we were looking for diesel along about Susanville and it was 3.89! Yikes, we thought we were going to have to call for a loan (from someone reading this) but the Casino had it for 2.51.


At Lone Pine we turned on 136 head for Death Valley. There at the turn off is a very nice visitors center. The ranger that helped us said once we got to Stovepipe Wells the worst of the road was over. There was about 5 or 7 miles of very twisted curvy road, but when we started up the mountain that was 10 miles of climb. We had to stop and let the engine coolant cool a little. Even a tour bus ahead of us stopped. Of course the temp was about 109. When I first mentioned going to Death Valley, I looked up the forecast and it was suppose to be in the 90;s. I thought well we can handle that. But then after we got there the forecast was 112 for Monday. We really enjoyed seeing all the sights, it was beautiful. Will tell about that trip later.
It was so hot, the suv couldn't ever get cool and so we didn't bother to run it.

By the way 395 was 4 lane from Lee Vinning, CA.
























































































































































































































































































Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rockey said...

That sounds like it was pretty scary. Rockey

About Me

We are in our 3rd year of full timing driving a coach and towing a SUV. How we would like to have our VW back! Hope you enjoy the blogs and I hope even more to have something interesting on it.