When you see the dam, it doesn't look that impressive.
But when you see it from about 5 miles, it IS impressive. I hope you can see how big it is. A few facts: It is one of the largest concrete structures, it was started in 1933 and took 9 yrs to build working around the clock to finish it in 1942. Only 9 people died during construction, I say only because thousands worked on it.
One of the purposes of the dam, besides flood control, was irrigation. These pipes do that sending water to over 500,000 acres. It wasn't until later that electricity started being produced and is the main purpose to date. I could not find out how much it cost the people that irrigate their farms. In fact when I asked one of the men at the info desk he seemed irritated I wanted to know. So guess that will be on my todo list. (No not to irritate someone, to find the cost of water!)
Friday, July 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- John & Pat
- We are in our 3rd year of full timing driving a coach and towing a SUV. How we would like to have our VW back! Hope you enjoy the blogs and I hope even more to have something interesting on it.

No comments:
Post a Comment